Our extended summer, with temperatures often 20 degrees higher than normal, has allowed fall to sneak up on us. The fall weather, and particularly rain, will be just around the corner. Now is the time to perform your seasonal maintenance jobs to protect your investment and improve tenant comfort and satisfaction.
Owners and Property Managers can perform the following basic tasks to protect their investment:
1. At the top of the list for Oregon properties is cleaning all rain gutters and downspouts. Downspout extenders – available at all big box home improvement stores for around $10 – should be used to divert rainwater away from the foundation and improve runoff.
2. Inspect your roof for damage, debris and moss. Given our climate, moss is a continual problem which can be controlled by periodic treatment.
3. Inspect and service your heating system. Replace the filter (leaving extras for the tenant may be cheap insurance that they continue to be replaced). If a furnace tune-up has not been performed recently it may be time. NW Natural maintains a list of Certified Contractors who offer discount pricing.
4. Winterize your landscape with a final layer of mulch, fertilize plants and trees, and perform a final clean-up.
Tenants also have an obligation to keep their residence well-maintained. Following are some seasonal maintenance tasks that will improve their comfort and safety:
1. Clean the dryer filter regularly. This is one of the leading causes of home fires in the fall months.
2. Replace the furnace filter on a regular basis.
3. Report any outstanding minor maintenance issues.
4. Change the batteries in the fire detectors.
5. Inspect all doors and windows for leaks, gaps or needed repairs.
6. Store hoses and other outdoor equipment out of the elements.
We are happy to assist both tenants and owners with any of these tasks. Don’t let our long dry summer lull you into a sense of complacency – fall and wet weather will be upon us rapidly. A few simple preventative maintenance steps now can help avoid expensive repairs later. Please feel free to contact Real Property Management Classic for assistance or even simply a referral to one of our vendor specialists – we are happy to help.